Norway has more than 70 years experience in using road toll payment as a financial instrument for building bridges, tunnels and roads. During the last 20 years it has become an increasingly important way of financing road projects.
As of 1 January 2015 it is compulsory for all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes which are registered to an enterprise, state, county or municipal administration, or which are otherwise primarily used for business purposes, to have an electronic toll payment tag when driving in Norway.
Pay toll Online with "Visitors' Payment"
If you are planning to stay in Norway for less than two months, "Visitors' Payment" is an easy way to pay toll:
- Register your credit card online at Visitors´ Payment and create a prepaid account. You decide the duration of the agreement period. Maximum agreement time is two months.
- You don’t need a tag for this payment arrangement. When you pass through a toll plaza, the licence plate is photographed (indicated by orange or no signal) and a deduction is made from your prepaid account. (Mark that you don`t have to pay for the passages manually at the toll plaza or service station).
- Drive through without stopping at Norwegian toll plazas marked AutoPASS.
- You can start driving immediately after you have registered. Register in advance or up to 3 days after your first toll point pass.
Pay toll with AutoPASS
AutoPASS is another way to pay toll in Norway. AutoPASS is an electronic payment system, where you use an AutoPASS tag as the means of payment. Foreign vehicles can also utilise AutoPASS, and this arrangement is useful if you plan to stay in Norway for more than two months. To get an AutoPASS tag you:
- Sign an agreement with one of the toll operators in Norway, and get a discount in many toll plazas.
- You pay a deposit of NOK 200 for the AutoPASS tag.
Each time you pass through a toll station the fee is deducted from your account. When you leave Norway you can return the AutoPASS tag by standard mail to the toll road operator at the same time as you terminate your agreement. You will then receive your deposit back and any remainder on your account.
Automatic toll stations
Most toll stations in Norway are automatic and ready to drive through without stop. All vehicles without AutoPASS contract or "Visitors' Payment" will have their license plate photographed. An invoice will be sent by mail to the owner of the car, at no extra charge. This also applies for foreign vehicles.
You can also pay toll at facilities such as petrol stations close to the toll station within three working days (after passing the toll point). Look for the sign: "Kr-service".
Other toll stations
Some toll stations have AutoPASS-lanes and lanes for manual payment. Please be aware that you risk a fine if you drive through in the AutoPASS-lanes without an AutoPASS contract or "Visitors' Payment". Remember you can pay with your credit card up to three days after passing.