Theory tests in the different categories
Here you can see the maximum time allowed for the theory test, the number of questions, and the minimum requirements for a pass grade.
During the theory test, you can choose from several alternative answers for each question. Only one of the alternatives is correct. You will find more about the contents of the theory test in the topic lists at the bottom of the page.
What languages are the theory test available in?
You can take the theory test for all categories in Norwegian. Some classes are also available in other languages:
- The Category B theory test is available in Nynorsk, Sami, English, Sorani, Arabic (MSA) and Turkish.
- The Categories AM 146 and T theory tests are available in Nynorsk
- The Category A1, A2 and A theory tests are available in English.
- The Category S theory test is available in Sami.
The theory test for the moped and snowmobile categories
For the licence categories moped (AM) and snowmobile (S) the theory test is the final test. You do not need to take a practical test.
Before you take the theory test, the following must be true:
- You must have applied for a driving licence, and your application must have been approved.
- You must have completed your mandatory training, and it must be registered in our systems.
You can see whether your application has been approved and your training registered under Your applications on Your page.
|Category||Vehicle||Time (min)||Number of questions||Required number of correct answers|
|A2||Medium heavy motorcycle||90||40||34|
|CE||Lorry with trailer||120||30||25|
|AM147||3- and 4-wheeled moped||60||30||25|
|Category||Time (min)||Number of questions||Required number of correct answers|
|YSKUP||Upgrade from Goods to Passenger transport||60||25||21|
|YSKUG||Upgrade from Passenger to Goods transport||60||25||21|