What do you need to know about the practical driving test for taxi?
When you have passed the theory test, you can book a session for the practical driving test. You can make this booking on Your Page.
You can take the practical driving test at these Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices:
Alta, Bergen, Bodø, Bærum/Asker (Billingstad), Drammen, Førde, Hafslund (Sarpsborg), Haugesund, Kirkenes, Kristiansand, Lillehammer, Lillestrøm, Mo i Rana, Molde, Skien, Stavanger, Tromsø, Trondheim, Tønsberg
Before you take the driving test
You are responsible for providing a car for the practical driving test. The car must
- either be registered as a taxi vehicle, and have access to GPS. There is no requirement for the car to have a fare meter.
- or be approved for Category B driving tests, have four doors, enough room in the back seat that it is easy to install a child seat, and access to GPS.
Applicable rules: Professional Transport Regulations, Section 48 (Norwegian only)
About the test
You need to present valid proof of identity when you present yourself for the test. The test lasts for 65 minutes.
The test will be carried out in Norwegian
Your command of Norwegian must be good enough for you to understand the tasks you are given, answer questions, and talk with the examiner in Norwegian.
Prepare for the following tasks:
- To wheel a person in a wheelchair a short distance, for example, over a kerb.
- To explain or show how to secure the chair with the person in a car.
- To explain or show how to secure a child or another person in the car.
- To check that the vehicle is in proper and prescribed condition before you start driving.
- To answer questions about, or carry out, some simple safety check procedures.
- To carry out three driving assignments towards given targets, partly using the GPS. Each assignment takes about 10 minutes.
Your examiner will make an overall assessment of your driving test performance once you have completed the test.
It will be be considered important that you:
- are able to handle and secure different categories of passengers in a good way.
- have good routines for checking that the car is in good condition
- drive comfortably and economically, and reach the target efficiently
- drive in a manner that is safe in traffic and provides proper interaction with other road users
You will receive a written decision when you have passed the test
As soon as the test is over, you will be told whether you passed or not. A written statement will also be sent to you, explaining the decision made.
When you have passed your test, you can apply to the police for a PCV driving licence. You must then attach the written decision showing that you have passed the theory test and the practical driving test.