The motorised stand-up transporter is allowed on public roads, but there are rules for who can use it, where it can be used, and how it must be equipped. 


A number of technical requirements apply to the stand-up transporter to ensure that it is safe to use. The vehicle must, among other things,

  • have front and rear lights as well as reflectors.
  • be equipped with signal horn or bell.
  • not be able to exceed 20 km/h.
  • have brakes that meet the given requirements.

Registration and insurance

You do not need to register or take out liability insurance for your motorised stand-up transporter.

Who can use a motorised stand-up transporter?

You need to be at least 16 years old.

  • The legal blood-alcohol limit is the same as for cars: 0,2
  • You must not use a handheld telephone while you use the vehicle.
  • The stand-up transporter is only allowed for one person at a time; i.e. you cannot take another person with you on your vehicle.
  • A helmet or driving licence is not required for a stand-up transporter. We still recommend that you wear a helmet and you acquire the necessary training and practice in a safe area before you use the vehicle in traffic. You must also know, and follow, the traffic rules

Where can you use your motorised stand-up transporter?

Even though the stand-up transporter is allowed on public roads, there are certain restrictions with regard to its use. Here is the list of where you can use it:

  • You can use the stand-up transporter on pavements and pedestrian/cycle paths. Using it on pavements and pedestrian paths is only allowed when pedestrian traffic is low, and when passing pedestrians you must allow ample distance and your speed should be near walking pace.
  •  You can also use your transporter on the road, but not where the speed limit is higher than 60 km/h.
  •  You can use you transporter in public transport lanes, cycle lanes and pedestrian zones, but in pedestrian zones you cannot go faster than walking pace.
  • You cannot use your transporter on uncultivated land or on private roads where motor vehicles are forbidden (e.g. natural area roads).
  • You cannot use your transporter against traffic on one-way streets or where you find the sign «no motor vehicles». This holds also where the sign says bicycles are excepted. If there is a pavement, you can use this when pedestrian traffic is low.

What if you break the rules?

In addition to separate rules for stand-up transporters, you must follow the ordinary traffic rules. Violation of the rules may lead to sanctions. The size of a potential fine will vary depending on what rule you have broken.

Other types of violation such as drunk driving or negligent driving can be penalized with a fines or imprisonment. The use of a stand-up transporter which is not equipped in accordance with regulation may also result in fines.