You still need to ensure the following to be able to drive legally:
- the vehicle insurance must be in order
- the periodic technical inspection (“EU inspection”) must be in order
- an order must not have been issued for the confiscation of the vehicle's number plates
- the vehicle must not have been reported stolen
- the change of ownership must have been registered with the NPRA and a new vehicle registration certificate issued if the vehicle is in the process of being sold
- the annual motor vehicle tax must be paid
Check that all the requirements have been met
- You can find out if you have the required motor vehicle insurance, when your vehicle is due for periodic technical inspection, and whether the annual motor vehicle tax has been paid by using MinID (difi.no) .
- You can check the deadlines for periodic technical inspection on vegvesen.no.
- Send your registration number to 2282 to find out when your vehicle is due for periodic technical inspection and whether the annual motor vehicle tax has been paid. (This service costs NOK 3 for each text message you receive.)
Confiscation of number plates
The NPRA, the police and Norwegian Customs and Excise are all authorised to confiscate the number plates from a vehicle if requirements are not met.
Contact an NPRA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office or call +47 22 07 30 00 if you have questions.