Ordering a driving licence
You can order a new driving licence on Your Page or at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (trafikkstasjon).
We will send you your new driving licence by post, usually within 3 to 5 days.
You need to visit a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (trafikkstasjon) if
- the photo on your driving licence was taken before 1 January 2012
- you have changed your name since you acquired your current driving licence
- you are going to exchange a foreign driving licence
At the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office you will need to present valid proof of identity. If you need a new photo, you take this at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
You can order online if you
- have passed the test(s) for your first driving licence.
- have passed the test(s) for upgrading your licence to include a new category
- have completed the mandatory training for a category or code that does not require a test
- have reported your old driving licence lost
- wish to renew your driving licence after completing the night driving course or safety course on a practice track
- wish to renew your driving licence with a health certificate and you have received an SMS that your health certificate has been registered
Destroy your old driving licence
If you already have a driving licence, it becomes invalid when you order a new one. You are responsible for destroying your old driving licence.
If you are going to order a new driving licence at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you should take your old licence with you and hand it in there. This does not apply if you have reported your driving licence lost or stolen.
If you wish to drive before you get your new licence, you must use a temporary driving permit.
How to get a temporary driving permit
If you have a digital driving licence, the “Førerkort” app will display a temporary driving licence when you have ordered a new driving licence.
If it is your first driving licence, you must wait for notification by SMS that you can start using your digital driving licence.
If you do not have a digital driving licence, you can get a temporary driving permit this way:
- If you order online, you can download it once you have paid.
- If you order at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you will be given one when you have paid for your new licence.
The temporary driving permit is only valid in Norway.