Valid proof of identity
You must show valid ID when you arrive at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. Here you can see which documents we accept as proof of identity.
All proof of identity must be valid (not expired). Exceptions:
- Norwegian driving licence. As long as this was issued on or after 1 January 1998, it is valid even if it has expired.
Other criteria for identification documents:
- You must present the original document. We do not accept certified copies.
- It must contain an updated photo. It will not be accepted if there is the slightest doubt that you are the person in the photo.
- It must be clearly legible. We do not accept identification documents where damage or wear makes it difficult to read the information, or when the card is broken etc.
What documents are accepted as proof of identity?
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration accepts the following as proof of identity:
- Norwegian passport (not emergency passports)
- Norwegian national ID card – with or without the right to travel
- Norwegian driving licence issued after 1 January 1998. This applies even if the licence has expired.
- Norwegian digital driving licence
- Norwegian bank ID card
- Norwegian Ministry of Defence ID card
- Norwegian Sea Service Book
- Refugee Travel Document
- Immigrant’s passport (not accepted if issued for a single journey)
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration accepts the following foreign documents as proof of identity:
- Foreign passport (not emergency passports)
- National ID card from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland
- Refugee Travel Document issued in Danmark, Finland, Tyskland, Italia, Nederland, Polen, Portugal, Romania, Spania, Sverige, Sveits eller Storbritannia
You need to be able to provide your full Norwegian national identity number / D number (11 digits).
Have you been assigned a different date of birth in Norway than the one in your passport? Please be prepared to present documentation from the Norwegian Tax Administration confirming that you have been assigned a date of birth that is different from the one in your passport.