If your plates have been lost or stolen you must report this to the police before you can order new plates from the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

You must report the loss of your plates to the police, whether they have been lost or stolen, because number plates may be misused if they fall into the wrong hands. In most cases, your new plates will have a new combination of letters and numbers.

Some exceptions have been made. Heavy vehicles may in certain cases keep the same letter and number combination. Veteran/vintage/”classic” vehicles (more than 30 years old) may also keep the same registration number.

Report the loss to the police

If you suspect that someone has stolen your number plate(s) you can file a complaint with the police. However, if you have lost your number plate(s), you need to fill in the form “Melding om tap av kjennemerke (Norwegian only)”(PDF). You must then have the completed form certified by the police.

Visit a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (trafikkstasjon)

Once you have reported the loss to the police, you can go to a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office to collect new number plates. If you are no longer going to use the vehicle, you should deregister the vehicle, and hand in the number plates to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.

When you go to visit the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you need to bring documentation that the loss has been reported to the police: Either a completed Loss Notification form certified by the police, or the formal complaint if you have filed a complaint with the police. You can also upload the documentation in advance on Your Page.

You also need to bring:

  • valid proof of identity
  • the remaining plate if only one plate has been lost or stolen.

If you are going to continue to use the vehicle, you will receive new plates and a temporary Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) immediately. A new VRC will be sent to you by post.

The price for new signs

You pay for your new number plates at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. They cost  rom NOK 60 to NOK 120. Payment must be made in cash or by debit card, credit cards are not accepted.

Notify other enterprises

Remember to notify other enterprises of your new registration number. For example, this will be relevant for toll road companies or parking companies. 

Last updated