Your proof of identify must be the original document, and its period of validity must not have expired. Certified copies of ID documents will not be accepted.
Proof of identity
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration accepts the following proof of identity:
- Norwegian passport (not emergency passports)
- Norwegian driving licence issued after 1 January 1998
- Norwegian bank ID card
- Norwegian Ministry of Defence ID card
- Norwegian Sea Service Book
- Norwegian Postal Service ID card
- Refugee Travel Document
- Immigrant’s passport (not accepted if issued for a single journey)
- Foreign passport (not emergency passports)
- ID card from EU/EEA countries
All Norwegian ID documents must have both a photograph and a national ID number/D number (11 digits). The photograph must be clear, and there must be no doubt that you are the same person as in the photograph.
The proof of identity will not be accepted if it is damaged, if the national ID number/D number is only partly visible, or if the photograph is insufficiently clear.
Norwegian driving licence
A Norwegian driving licence issued prior to 1 January 1998 is not acceptable as proof of identity irrespective of its validity as a driving licence.
An expired driving licence issued after 1 January 1998 is still valid as proof of identity as long as it is less than 15 years old. This is because the photograph on the driving licence is valid for 15 years.
Foreign proof of identity
National ID cards from EU/EEA countries and foreign passports are acceptable as proof of identity if you in addition can supply your Norwegian national ID number/D number (11 digits), either orally or in writing.