Ordering a driving licence
You can order a new driving licence on Your Page or at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (trafikkstasjon).
We will send you your new driving licence by post, usually within three to five days.
It is cheaper to order a driving licence online than at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
If you wish to drive before you get your new licence, you must use a temporary driving permit.
You can order online if you
- have passed the necessary tests for your first driving licence
- have reported your old driving licence lost
- wish to renew your driving licence with a health certificate
- wish to renew your driving licence after completing the night driving course or safety course on a practice track
Your old driving licence becomes invalid when you order a new driving licence.
Destroy your old driving licence
If you are replacing an existing driving licence, you are responsible for destroying your old driving licence. You can also hand it in to a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. This does not apply if you have reported your driving licence lost or stolen.
Order at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
You must order your new driving licence at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office if
- you are upgrading an existing licence to include a new category
- the photo on your driving licence was taken before 1 January 2012
- you have changed your name after you received your current driving licence
- you are exchanging a foreign driving licence
If you need a new photo, there is an additional charge.
If you are going to order a new driving licence at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you need to book an appointment in advance. At the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (DVLO) you will need to present valid proof of identity. If you need a new photo, you take this at the DVLO.
How to get a temporary driving permit
If you have a digital driving licence, the “Førerkort” app will display a temporary driving licence when you have ordered a new driving licence. If this is your first driving licence you will receive an SMS when you can start using the digital licence.
If you do not have a digital driving licence, you can get a temporary driving permit this way:
- If you order online, you can download it when you have paid for your new licence.
- If you order at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you will be given one when you have paid for your new licence.
The temporary driving permit is only valid in Norway.