Once the Notification of Sale has been confirmed, you need to pay the registration transfer fee before you can use the vehicle.

Pay the registration transfer fee Log in

The following needs to be in place before you pay the registration transfer fee:

  • The vehicle must be insured. If you do not have insurance, you will be required to pay an omission fine for each day the vehicle is uninsured. Remember that insurance must be taken out in the name of the owner.
  • The vehicle must have passed the periodic roadworthiness test (“EU-kontroll”).

It is the buyer who is responsible for seeing to it that the registration transfer fee is paid. Please remember that the Notification of Sale must be submitted and confirmed before you can pay the registration transfer fee. 

How much is the registration transfer fee?

How much you will have to pay depends on the type of vehicle, such as passenger car, lorry, motorcycle or trailer, and the weight and age of the vehicle. In some cases, you may be exempted from paying the registration transfer fee. Most exemptions are automatically granted in our facilities. New rates for the registration transfer fee will apply from 1 January every year.

Find out how much your registration transfer fee is or whether the Tax Administration is granting you an exemption  on Norwegian tax Administration’s website.

When will you get your new Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC)?

Once you have paid the registration transfer fee and the registration transfer has been completed, you can print out a temporary VRC from Your Page and start using your new vehicle. You will receive a new VRC by post within four to seven business days.

Have you purchased a vehicle without number plates?

In order to be issued with number plates, the registration transfer for the vehicle must be completed.

  • If the seller handed in the number plates to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office (trafikkstasjon) for storage less than six months ago, you can collect them from the Licensing Office where they were handed in. 
  • If the plates were handed in for storage more than six months ago, you will have to order new number plates. 
Last updated